PRIVACY OF CUSTOMER PERSONAL INFORMATION
Respecting and protecting your privacy is important to us and a priority in our continuing relationship. Cool Vans Refrigerated Van Rentals takes great care to ensure your personal information is securely stored with limited access and disclosure only to specific and authorized individuals. To review our Customer Privacy Statement and understand how we collect and use your personal information, visit our web site at www.coolvans.ca or mail us Cool Vans Refrigerated Van Rentals, 3219 Dufferin St., Toronto, Ontario, M6A-2T2 to receive a copy or ask any questions you may have.
As of January, 1, 2004, The Canadian Federal Government’s Personal Information, Protection and Electronic Document Act (PIPEDA) will come into effect. The act regulates the collection, use and handling of personal information (PI) about an individual, regardless of how the information exists. This policy explains how Cool Vans Refrigerated Van Rentals protects your privacy and summarizes how and why we collect, use and disclose PI that you may provide to us.
This policy is applicable to PI that you provide to Cool Vans Refrigerated Van Rentals. PI does not include the name, title or business address or office telephone number of an employee of an organization, or the name, address, telephone number, or similar information of a person that is publicly available (e.g. in a public telephone directory).
WHAT PI DOES COOLVANS REFRIGERATED VAN RENTALS COLLECT ABOUT ME AND HOW DOES IT COLLECT IT?
When you make a reservation, rent a car and/join any of Cool Vans Refrigerated Van Rental’s programs, we need to collect certain information about you in order to provide our services. The information we require is necessary in order to identify you, contact you, provide the requested service and administer your rentals. The service that you use will determine what information we collect from you. This information will include at least some of the following about you:
- Your Home and/of Business Address
- Phone Number(s) at which we may contact you
- Your Date of Birth
- Method of Payment (e.g. Credit Card – Account Number and Expiration Date)
- Your Drivers License Number and Province/Country of Issuance
When you rent a van, we will also record information that details your rental as recorded in your rental agreement (e.g. where you rented the vehicle, where and when you returned the vehicle, payment arrangements, insurance preferences, gas consumption, mileage and other information related to the vehicle rental).
In addition, in order to better serve you, Cool Vans Refrigerated Van Rentals offers customized rental services on a membership basis. If you wish to join and request one of these services, Cool Vans Refrigerated Van Rentals my need more information than is required for providing standard car rental service. Information on what PI is colleted and used in connection with these services is available in the brochure and materials describing these services.
The PI we collect about you will be with your express or implied consent, by your request for our services. How we collect PI will depend on how you use our services. We may collect PI directly from you by telephone, fax, e-mail, at the counter, upon your completion of an application or enrolment form, or through our use of our web site. We may also collect information about you indirectly through a travel agent, an account program or through one of our partner programs when you deal with us through those means.
You may choose not to provide some or all of you PI to us, but this may prevent us from providing our services to you or limit our ability to provide you with the level of service that you would otherwise expect from us.
HOW IS MY PI USED OR DISCLOSED BY COOL VANS REFRIGERATED VAN RENTALS?
We strive to ensure a stress-free rental experience and are dedicated to building a rewarding and lasting relationship with every customer. In order to provide the level of service we believe you expect from us, we may use and disclose you PI for the following purposes:
General purposes – We use you PI to:
- Provide the services that you request;
- Do all things necessary to administer those services;
- Research, develop, manage, protect and improve our services;
- Unless you opt out, to conduct customer satisfaction surveys;
- Maintain and develop our service oriented software and other business systems.
We may disclose your PI to other related and non-related organizations including:
- To your company or organization if you use our services under a corporate or other corporate account;
- To your credit card issuers;
- To credit reporting and fraud checking agencies;
- To debt collection agencies, if you fail to pay monies owed to us;
- To government or private organizations responsible for the processing or handling of traffic, tolls, or parking related violations;
- To driver licensing authorities, directly or through intermediary organizations, when needed to verify compliance with Cool Vans Refrigerated Van Rental’s safe driver criteria for qualified drivers and/or to verify license information; and
- To government, regulatory and law enforcement agencies where the disclosure is required or authorized by law.
- To insurance companies
USE OR DISCLOSURE FOR MARKETING PURPOSE
If you have not opted out of receiving marketing materials, we may use and disclose your PI to offer you products and services provided by Cool Vans Refrigerated Van Rentals. However, you may choose not to allow us to use or disclose your PI for direct marketing purposes by indicating your preference on the rental agreement or by contacting us as outlined in this Policy (see “Whom can I contact for further information”).
USE TO PROVIDE CUSTOMER SERVICE
When you provide us with your PI, we will enter your information into Cool Vans Refrigerated Vans Rental’s database. Our database is a “closed system”, whereby there is no access to the Internet from our database. Once your information is in our database, it will not be used for any purpose not set forth in this policy.
HOW DOES COOL VANS REFRIGERATED VAN RENTALS PROTECT MY PI?
We take reasonable steps to protect all of the PI we hold from misuse, loss, unauthorized access and modifications of disclosure in violation of this policy. This protection applies in relation to information stored in both electronic and hard copy form. Access to our database is restricted to authorized personnel and is password protected. PI transmitted through our web site is encrypted.
CAN I ACCESS THE PI THAT COOL VANS REFRIGERATED VAN RENTALS HAS ABOUT ME?
You may access any PI that we have collected about you subject to certain exceptions. We will normally provide access without charge unless you either request access to a large volume of information or we have to access archived records to obtain the information. In these circumstances, we may impose a reasonable fee. We will, however advise you of that fee in advance. You may challenge the reasonableness of the cost. Details of how to contact us are set out below. There may be instances where we may not be able to provide you access to you PI, for certain reasons. Among these are; it has been destroyed or deleted after expiry of applicable retention periods, it contains PI of other persons or it contains commercially sensitive or proprietary information owned by us. If we are unable to provide you access, we will explain why and document that for our records.
TELL US IF WE NEED TO UPDATE YOUR PI OR PREFERENCES
You play an active role in assisting Cool Vans Refrigerated Vans Rentals in maintaining the accuracy of you PI for as long as it is used for the purposes set out in this policy. Your prompt notification of any changes to your PI will assist us. You can update your preferences and your PI by contacting Cool Vans Refrigerated Vans Rental’s Privacy Officer at the contacts set out in this policy. If we don’t agree to make the changes, you may challenge our decision.
USE OF WEB SITE TRACKING AND COOKIES
Use of Internet Protocol (“IP) Addresses: An IP address is a unique number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Internet so that your computer can be identified by the main computers, known as “Web servers” which “serve up” Web pages. This allows us to identify and gather general information and data about you use of the site, such as the Web pages viewed on www.coolvans.ca.
WHAT YOU CONSENT AND AGREE TO
When you provide us with your PI, you consent and agree to our use and disclosure of your personal information in accordance with this Policy including, in particular to:
- Our collection, use and disclosure of that information in order to provide the service you have requested, to administer the rental, to provide customer services, and to operate our business, as described in this Policy;
- If you do not opt out, our use and disclosure of you PI for direct marketing purposes and customer satisfaction surveys.
- If you do not disable cookies or exercise the Double Click opt out, our collection of information about your web site visits for the purposes described in this policy.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
WHOM CAN I CONTACT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION?
If you wish to contact us, to inquire about our privacy practices; to provide feedback and comments; and/or to access or correct your PI we have, contact us as detailed below.
Customers can contact Cool Vans Refrigerated Vans Rentals by using the following methods:
- Fax: 416-787-9240
- Telephone: 416-787-0209
- Email: email@example.com Attn: Privacy Officer
- Mail: Cool Vans, 3219 Dufferin St., Toronto, Ontario M6A 2T2
If you are not satisfied with the way in which we handle your inquiry, you can contact our Privacy Officer using any of the following:
- Mail: Privacy Officer, Cool Vans, 3219 Dufferin St.,Toronto, Ontario, M6A 2T2
- Telephone: 416-787-0209
- Fax: 416-787-9240
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org: Privacy Officer
If you are not satisfied with the way we handle your complaint, you can also contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at:
- Mail: 112 Kent St., Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1H3
- Telephone: 1-800-282-1376
- Fax: 1-613-967-6850
Links to provincial the Information and Privacy Commissioners can be found on the Privacy Commissioner of Canada web site at: http://www.privcom.gc.ca.